READ - RESPOND - REPEAT

How I do Bible Study

Photo courtesy of eye2eye
I'm not going to tell you how thou shalt do Bible study, but I thought I'd let you know how I generally go about mine.  I usually alternate OT and NT books but right now I'm doing Non-Pauline epistles in approximate chronological order starting with James.  I do one chapter per week in the following manner:
  • Always start out with a prayer for guidance from the Holy Spirit - a prayer for understanding and tutoring.
  • Read the entire chapter each weekday.
  • By about the 2nd or 3rd day, start chasing down cross-references.  I subscribe to the idea that you want to "let scripture interpret scripture," thus cross-references are better than commentaries.
  • Note any cross-refs or connections that occur to you but are not in the list.
  • By about the 4th or 5th day, maybe look through the commentaries. 
  • First cross-references, then commentaries, then word study.  It is too easy for me to go off on a tangent when I get to as microscopic level as word study.
  • Read the whole book (or several chapters) every weekend.  This way, you get a broader view of the topic and the structure of the book makes more sense.
  • Make notes in the margins.  Underline.  Write your own commentary.
____________
Patrick Parker, is a Christian, husband, father, judo and aikido teacher, Program Director for a Cardiac Rehab, and a Ph.D. Contact: mokurendojo@gmail.com or phone 601.248.7282
____________
Subscribe to free updates from the Self-Education of Pat