READ - RESPOND - REPEAT

The Spirit in man

We decided to do a shorter, easier memory verse this coming week since the previous couple of weeks were long, more involved ones.
But it is the Spirit in man, the breath of the Almighty, that makes him understand. (Job 32:8; ESV)
This verse really points in my mind to Psalm 51:10-12:
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
I've done better lately about treating my regular Bible reading as a special, spiritual exercise and have taken the time to pray and invoke the assistance of the Holy Spirit in reading and understanding God's word and you know what - it really works! I've felt like my Bible reading has been a completely different thing for me lately. I have felt that I've been under the tutorship and guidance of the Spirit in my reading and study. Amazing thing!
If you are interested in making this change in your Bible reading, this is how I am doing it. Treat it like teaching yourself to wear a seatbelt. Try to remember to pray before ever opening the Bible (put your seatbelt on before ever starting the car). If you forget and begin your reading, when you remember, shut the Book (stop the car), pray, and then continue with your reading. Pray for the Spirit to stay with you like in Psalm 51 and to tutor you and guide your thoughts and help you understand, like in Job 32:8. Ask and it (the presence of the holy Spirit) will be given to you (Matt 7:7).

0 comments: