READ - RESPOND - REPEAT

Fact from opinion

I think the following is interesting because we believe that the whole Bible is inspired and inerrant...

To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord)... To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) …(1Cor 7:10-12; ESV)

Here, Paul is differentiating scriptural absolutes from opinion. This does not make Paul’s opinion errant or uninspired, but he is careful to make sure the readers know the difference between Jesus’ actual verbatim teachings and his opinion based on the spirit of Jesus’ teachings. Luther does the same thing in his introductions to the disputed books in the Geneva Bible:

Though this epistle of St. James was rejected by the ancients, I praise it and consider it a good book, because it sets up no doctrines of men but vigorously promulgates the law of God. However, to state my own opinion about it, though without prejudice to anyone, I do not regard it as the writing of an apostle; and my reasons follow…

.

About this book of the Revelation of John, I leave everyone free to hold his own opinions. I would not have anyone bound to my opinion or judgment. I say what I feel. I miss more than one thing in this book, and it makes me consider it to be neither apostolic nor prophetic…Finally, let everyone think of it as his own spirit leads him.

0 comments: