READ - RESPOND - REPEAT

Update on self-defense

I have updated my post on self-defense and conflict resolution with a passage I found last night in my reading.
And seeing one of them being wronged, he defended the oppressed man and avenged him by striking down the Egyptian. He supposed that his brothers would understand that God was giving them salvation by his hand, but they did not understand. (Acts 7:24-25)
Here Stephen (one of the first deacons) was explaining his faith to the Jews who were about to stone him to death. He is talking about Moses and he presents Moses' killing of the Egyptian in a favorable light. I thought this was particularly significant because it often seems like the Old Testament is the wrath and war part of the Bible and the New Testament is the 'turn the other cheek' part.
.
But here is a martyred saint in the New Testament talking about justifiable violence in defense of others.

0 comments: