READ - RESPOND - REPEAT

The Ecclesiastes 1 - Psalms connection

You know what else is neat in Ecclesiastes? The universiality of the experience that Solomon describes. Usher mentioned in a comment the other day that he'd heard stories of other rich guys on the top of the world discovering what Solomon describes and giving their testimony. I brought up Job (vastly rich but tormented) in a previous post. Well, How about David, Solomon's father and King before him...

O LORD, what is man that you regard him, or the son of man that you think of him? Man is like a breath; his days are like a passing shadow. Bow your heavens, O LORD, and come down! Touch the mountains so that they smoke! Flash forth the lightning and scatter them; send out your arrows and rout them! Stretch out your hand from on high; rescue me and deliver me from the many waters, from the hand of foreigners, whose mouths speak lies and whose right hand is a right hand of falsehood. (Psa 144:3-8)

"O LORD, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am! Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths, and my lifetime is as nothing before you. Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath! Selah Surely a man goes about as a shadow! Surely for nothing they are in turmoil; man heaps up wealth and does not know who will gather! "And now, O
Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you. (Psalm 39: 4-7)

Or how about the Sons of Korah...

Truly no man can ransom another, or give to God the price of his life, for the ransom of their life is costly and can never suffice, that he should live on forever and never see the pit. For he sees that even the wise die; the fool and the stupid alike must perish and leave their wealth to others. Their graves are their homes forever, their dwelling places to all generations, though they called lands by their own names. Man in his pomp will not remain; he is like the beasts that perish. (Psalm 49:7-12)

0 comments: