READ - RESPOND - REPEAT

A parallel between Job and Psalms

This week I am studying and meditating on Psalms 4&5 - the Evening prayer and the Morning Prayer...
Be angry, and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent...There are many who say, "Who will show us some good? Lift up the light of your face upon us, O LORD!" You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound. In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4:4f; ESV)
This last line is usually taken to mean something like, you might as well rest secure, because God is responsible for your safety - that is, don't worry because you're in God's hands. But taken in the context of the preceeding lines, it seems to me that David is saying, "Sure, bad things happen to me that I don't like, but I'm not going to gripe at God about it (as if I could stand toe-to-toe with Him and demand justice). I am going to keep my peace, be silent, and get some sleep, because I am God's creature." A similar concept to the following passage from Job...
So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD and struck Job with loathsome sores from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head. And he took a piece of broken pottery with which to scrape himself while he sat in the ashes. Then his wife said to him, "Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die." But he said to her, "You speak as one of the foolish women would speak. Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?" In all this Job did not sin with his lips. (Job 2:7f; ESV)
____________
Patrick Parker, is a Christian, husband, father, judo and aikido teacher, Program Director for a Cardiac Rehab, and a Ph.D. Contact: mokurendojo@gmail.com or phone 601.248.7282
____________
Subscribe to free updates from the Self-education of Pat

0 comments: