READ - RESPOND - REPEAT

The burden of the Messenger

My current study that I am doing is Malachi, the last book of the Old Testament. After I finish with Malachi I will be reading Ephesians.


I think the first line of the book is interesting, particularly in the KJV:
The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi. (Malachi 1:1)
Seems pretty straightforward until you find out that the author is unknown. It is not clear whether Malachi was the author’s name or his job title. Apparently the word translates to something like, “The Messenger."
.
Also interesting is the use of the word, “burden” in the KJV to refer to the prophetic message given to this messenger. This lends a solemnity and importance to the message to come. It was apparently no fun being God’s messenger during those days.

0 comments: