READ - RESPOND - REPEAT

John Christopher's Tripods

Another series that I am re-reading is the (4-part) John Christopher Tripods trilogy. At least it was a trilogy.  But it was so intensely popular that the author ended up writing a prequel a decade or so after the third book was published.
.
As a kid I remember a school librarian recommending this trilogy to me. I loved it, just like she’d figured I would. Then some years later I remember the monthly Boy Scouts magazine, Boys Life, serialized it as a long-running comic strip - one page per month.
.
The story is about an alien invasion of these creeps that drive around in giant mechanical tripodal walkers with tentacles and enslave the world using these mind-control caps that they make folks wear. Well, it turns out that they only cap folks over the age of 13, so nearly the only free folks left in the world to mount a rebellion are teenagers. Cool premise. Equally cool books. I have just finished reading the prequel, When the Tripods Came and a now working on The White Mountains.

2 comments:

Spickens said...

Thanks Pat! Once again you've made me think! This post reminded me of one of my all-time-favorites from my young reading days. http://colloquialtimesreadings.blogspot.com/2008/08/girl-who-owned-city-ot-nelson.html

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.