READ - RESPOND - REPEAT

Ayn Rand's Anthem - dystopian scifi at its best

Anthem is the shortest (by far) of Ayn Rand's novels, and it is my favorite. Not just because it is short (but that helps) but also because I really enjoy post-holocaust and dystopian science fiction.
.
Set in a world that has slid into decline because of a total suppression of individuality, the main character's name is Equality 7-2521, apparently a batch serial number from the communal nursery he was born in. Equality feels that something is vaguely wrong when he is randomly assigned to menial tasks instead of being assigned to be a scholar (BTW, these scholars needed hundreds of years to re-discover the technology of the candle after the holocaust), but can't really place a finger on what is wrong until he makes a terrible, dangerous discovery.
.
I can't tell more without spoiling it for you. Ayn Rand's Anthem is highly recommended, especially if you enjoyed stories like Fahrenheit 451, Animal Farm, 1984 or anything by Lois Lowry. If this sounds like it's right up your alley, please pick up a copy of Anthem at my Amazon store:



3 comments:

Patriota said...

Hi,

I've created an Educational Blog and I'm interested in Link exchange.

If you don't mind I'm waiting for your reply.

thanks

Spickens said...

I love Anthem and I REALLY love Atlas Shrugged. I listened to it on tape while driving back and forth to New Orleans a million times. That book is daunting because of the length but it was all necessary. Made me feel less guilty about my belief in the necessity of a free market economy.

Spickens said...

I mean that I drove back and forth to New Orleans a million times, not that I listened to Atlas Shrugged a million times.