READ - RESPOND - REPEAT

Seldom is heard an encouraging word...

This week I finish my study of Ecclesiastes. Ecclesiastes 12 contains one of the most famous of memory verses. One prescribed to me by my mom upon my graduation from high school:

Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come and the years draw near of which you will say, "I have no pleasure in them"; Ecc 12:1

Most resources that you will find on Ecclesiastes will warn you that the book is depressing and dark. I disagree. Ecclesiastes is a book of wisdom with a sober, but important message, that being to keep in mind that everything under the sun (i.e. in this life), all human works, are ultimately futile (even if they have some human worth) and if you worship them then you will eventually find them as futile and fleeting as chasing the wind.
.
But on the other hand, if you remember your Creator and guard your steps when you approach the Temple, you will find that God has blessed you with contentment in this life and youwill find everlasting reward because what God does endures forever. That is the encouraging word within Ecclesiastes.
.
I think for my next study I will be doing Galatians, probably again at a rate of about one chapter per week. Please Lord, send your Holy Spirit to rest on me and tutor me and interpret this Holy, inerrant, infallible word to me so that I may apply it to my life.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrapped up teaching Ecclisiastes to some church youth a few weeks ago and I, too was impressed by the message. It was very interesting to compare it to Buddhist teachings that I studied a bit when I lived in Japan. What struck me at the end of the book was how much God really wants to bless us and help us lead provident lives. I didn't think it was a sad book either.

I've been following Mokuren mostly but it's good to see you have other blogs too, Pat. I'm LDS and I love reading about gospel topics in general.