READ - RESPOND - REPEAT

Seamus Heaney's Beowulf

Here's a book that most of us love to hate - and I want to put an end to that. We hate it because, not only are we forced to read it in school, but we are forced to read the wretched old Burton Raffel translation. But here we have a breath of fresh air in the new (2001) translation by Nobel Award winning poet, Seamus Heaney.
.
I really can not say enough in favor of this translation. It is an exciting story told in language that swells dizzily in the imagination. Such an exciting story that it served as inspiration for Michael Crichton's Eaters of the Dead as well as several movie adaptations, including The 13th Warriorand the new movie, Beowulf.
.
My wife and I have used this Seamus Heaney translation with out homeschooling students and we have read and re-read it right along with them. I can hardly wait to read it again with them as we are re-entering the Ancients in our schooling cycle next term.
.
If anyone would like to purchase a copy of the Heaney translation of Beowulf, please check out my Amazon store:



0 comments: